Okay, it’s no secret that AI is transforming the writing and marketing landscape. And as someone who uses AI in my marketing, I can confirm: the tech is for real. The other day I created a blurb that converted at 26% with the help of AI.
Now, I get that some writers are afraid that AI is going to automate everything and replace us.
But there’s one key phrase in that sentence.
With the help of AI.
This is the most important thing you can remember about AI.
It can’t work by itself. It needs a human expert to guide it.
AI is an amplifier for the skills you already have. If you don’t have those skills…then, well, the results just aren’t that great.
People just cranking out blurbs or ads with AI who don’t understand the mechanics of what makes something good will not succeed.
There are plenty of marketing courses. And AI is all the rage right now. But the truth is, this content is mostly just feeding you little tactics that quickly fade in utility in a few months. They’re not teaching you actual principles and skills that will be applicable today…and ten years from now.
Because, on its own, AI produces mostly mediocre garbage. But when you combine your own skills with AI…that’s when you get turbocharged results like the one I referenced above.
And that’s why I created the 30 Day AI Blurb and Ad Copy Sprint. AI is the future. It’s potentially the absolute biggest technology to hit humanity since fire (yes, AI is more of a gamechanger than the internet). It changes how you work, market, and run your business.
Simply put: AI is not going away, and the sooner you learn how to use it, the better off you’ll be.
If you just learn how to use AI, that’s not enough. Because you need the actual skill. What’s good ad copy? What’s a good blurb?
You need to know how to write a good ad before you can get AI to create you one.
The question, then, of course is this: what’s the best and fastest way how to write a good ad or blurb?
Lots of fancy charts?
Nope. Perhaps the oldest learning technique in existence: copywork.
THE LEARNING SECRET: COPYWORK
People have learned through copying others since the dawn of humanity. How does a baby learn to speak? Through mimicking the sounds of the people around them.
So copywork has always been a central part of a master artisan’s education: a painter would copy a masterpiece brushstroke by brushstroke. A musician would learn to play a piece note by note.
Through copying a piece as closely as possible, you deconstruct its key elements. What the artist was thinking. And what techniques and concepts make that piece of artwork sing (or not).
To be clear: copywork is not about taking other people’s work and passing it off as your own. This is about breaking high quality work down to its principles and figuring out what techniques the original creator was using to learn them yourself. Then you apply these skills and frameworks to your own unique work.
In writing, the art of copywork has largely been ignored. And that’s a shame, because handcopying quality work is one of the fastest and easiest ways to improve your writing and ads.
Which is why it’s underpins the entire 30 Day AI Blurb and Ad Copy Sprint.
THE COURSE: STRUCTURE
This is a super simple course.
Each day you’ll be doing the following:
- Reading a brief lesson via email breaking down a core copywriting principle. (5 minutes)
- Getting a link to a blurb that teaches this principle. Your job is to hand copy this blurb with pen and paper. (7.5 minutes)
- Writing your own blurb. I recommend you type this, since you’ll be plugging them into ChatGPT and Claude. (7.5 minutes)
- Working with the AI to analyze the blurb of the day, get feedback on your blurb, rewrite it, make ad copy, etc. (10 minutes)
On weekends, the idea / general format will remain the same, but the focus will shift to ad copy. There will be an extra blurb as well if you’d like to keep working on those.
There will likely be some variations on this format depending on what we’re covering that day, but that’s the general structure.
So if you take 30 minutes a day to read each email and do the exercises, at the end of the 30 days you’ll have written 30 new blurbs. Hand-copied 30 blurbs. And have a bunch of shorter copy that you can use for ads (or your newsletters, social media posts etc.).
Here’s how the course will break down week-by-week.
- Week 1: Formulas
- Week 2: Structure
- Week 3: Angles
- Week 4: Tone, Style and Voice
There will also be a couple emails on testing woven in throughout the sprint.
The blurbs are in a variety of genres. So you’ll end up copying some thriller blurbs as a romance author or vice-versa. This is to teach genre and tropes, and also lateral thinking (applying concepts across disciplines). If you don’t want to copy blurbs in a number of different genres, don’t join.
- Paranormal Romance
- Epic Fantasy
- Urban Fantasy
- Science Fiction
The course starts on Monday, August 7 and runs through September 5.
Here’s what you get:
- 30 daily emails starting Monday, August 7. Each email contains a copywriting principle and a link to a blurb to help you practice this principle via hand-copying. On weekends, you get a piece of ad copy to hand-copy (along with a blurb, if you want to copy that). Where does AI come into play? Well, each day, you’ll use it for some part of the process: writing, rewriting, analysis etc.
- AI Marketing Prompt guide: a collection of prompts that you can use to write quality blurbs, ad copy, and more. These have been created and rigorously tested by me. This is not a random collection of 812 prompts that do not work. This is a highly curated collection of prompts that I use myself in my own business. These are worth the price of the course alone, even if you don’t do a single exercise.
- Prompt Engineering Guide: the prompts (messages) you give AI dictate the quality of its output. Knowing how to write a good one (known as “Prompt Engineering”) is critical in the AI age. This guide breaks down the key elements of an effective prompt, so that you understand how to craft prompts that generate the output you’re looking for.
JOIN THE COURSE
This is probably my favorite course that I’ve ever put together.
And it’s been revised and updated for 2023 to fully leverage the huge advantages that AI brings to the marketing table.
If you put in the work, then this course will help you:
- Produce high quality blurbs and ad copy quickly. It’s not either / or. With the help of AI, you can create better marketing material faster.
- Study the marketplace like a pro…and identify which books have staying power (and which don’t).
- Quickly test your blurbs and ad copy to know what’s working (and what isn’t).
- Write better ads and blurbs—any place you use ad copy. By copying blurbs in different genres, you’ll understand what to include in your books, blurb, and ad copy to speak to your readers.
- Get up to speed on the cutting edge of AI. AI is changing rapidly. Get the most up-to-date information on what’s currently working.
- Build an evergreen skill. The principles of writing good blurbs and ad copy stick with you. They aren’t like some random tactic that lives in your notes folder and never gets used. Or when you finally dust it off, you find it no longer works. Those principles can be applied 5 days from now or 5 years from now.
If you want to join, the checkout for the 30 Day AI Blurb and Ad Copy Sprint closes at 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, August 6:
Just a heads up: You need to follow along in real time, so if you don’t have time in August, don’t sign up. That’s because I link to the blurbs on Amazon and the authors can change those at any time. For anyone worrying that they’ll change by the time you receive the email…I’m writing basically all the emails in real time. So that’s not a concern.
There are no refunds. It’s pretty clear what this is; if you don’t want to hand copy and write a bunch of blurbs / ads, don’t join.
Will you be running this course again?
I ran this course once 2+ years ago and said probably not, but here I am again because the course was so damn useful for me to go through. I’d say it’s highly unlikely, since I have to rewrite a huge chunk of the content. This is because I link to the blurbs on Amazon rather than embed them in the email. That means the author can change them, which would mean revising the course again.
Does this focus on fiction or non-fiction?
This course is exclusively focused on fiction; there is no non-fiction related content.
Couldn’t I just copy blurbs on my own for free?
Yes. I’ve hammered home this exercise for years, and I don’t think anyone’s done it for 30 days. Hence this course.
Also, I’ve written a lot of ads and managed ads for numerous Top 100 books. It’s easy to hand-copy blurbs that are garbage or fool’s gold. This course will weed those out and also train your marketing eye.
Will you give me feedback on my blurbs / ad copy?
No. The purpose of this course is to teach you the principles + skills to write and test your own blurbs and ad copy. My opinion doesn’t matter. Data does.
How long will I have access to the course?
The course is delivered via email, so you can read and re-read the emails any time you want. I recommend doing it in real time, as the linked blurbs might change. Any videos (there is currently only 1) or additional resources will be available until December 31, 2024.